Monday, November 9, 2009

Money Saving Idea - What I do with all this ground beef :)

As you have noticed I purchased a lot of ground beef over the weekend. What am I going to do with all this ground beef?

As a money saving method, I divide the beef into individuals packages and freeze it for dinners. Most people use 1 lb of ground beef per meal whether it is sloppy joes, spaghetti, tacos or stroganof. Most recipes will call for 1 lb of meat. About a year ago, I reduced the amount of meat used in each meal to 3/4 lb. I found that we had an extreme amount of leftovers after every meal. So much that a lot went to waste and was thrown out. Since we only have 2 adults eating and 2 small children, there is still more than enough protein in our meal and we STILL have enough leftovers for at least 2 individual lunches.

Reducing the amount of meat used in each meal saves us money and reduces the amount of wasted food we have. If I had divided the meat into 1 lb. packages, I would have enough for 9 meals. By dividing it into 3/4 lb packages, there was enough for 12 meals!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment